A brief summary of things seen and done in Rishikesh:
– Climbed a 13-story temple at the far end of a bridge populated by monkeys
– Fled a really cheap “guest house” “room” filled with “ants” and “hornets”
– Ate street channa masala–twice!–and lived to tell about it. Living dangerously these days. Man is that stuff delicious.
– Heard every CD store hear playing a modernized version of a chant to Shiva whose lyrics are basically, “Omm na omm Shiva, Shiva Shiva Shiva Omm Shiva.”
– Am now staying at a really nice ashram on the Ganges! The whole place is painted a surprisingly agreeable salmon color, with red trim, and there are very nice, big statues of the gods everywhere. I bought a short book on Hinduism so I was kind of excited when I was able to recognize the incarnations of Vishnu. Progress!
– Yoga class all the time. Awesome.